Who: Santa Cruz County Parks Department
What: Strategic Planning Process
Where: Multiple Public Meetings across county and online survey
When: April 26th – May 11th (more info below)
Why: To get community guidance on parks operations – this could lead to more mountain bike trails, pumptracks, and dirt jumps
How: Take the survey! Attend a meeting!
The County Parks Department is creating its first Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan will be developed with input from the community and is an opportunity to create a collaborative vision for the future of County parks, programs, and facilities. This is an opportunity for mountain bikers to advocate for an increase in access and new facilities.
MBOSC is advocating for:
- Increased connectivity between Santa Cruz County trails
- Creation of a county wide trail plan
- Acquisition of easements or new properties to create key trail connections
- Creation of mountain bike specific trail opportunities
- A bike park to replace the Post Office Jumps and Aptos Pumptrack which would provide for the needs of all skill levels of riders from tots to elite pros.
- Funding for bike facilities construction and maintenance
- Activation of the Miller Property in the San Lorenzo Valley for mountain bike use
- Mountain bike specific trails
- Activation of the Bert Scott Property with a bike park
Please take a few moments to take the online survey. Try to make one of the meetings if you can. Consider highlighting the above points in the survey and at the meetings.
Upcoming Public Meetings
The Parks Department will be holding a series of meetings throughout the county, and we need to hear from you and your neighbors! Your input is essential as we identify how we can improve County parks, programs and facilities. What do YOU want to see in YOUR County Parks? Please join us as we look to the future of our County! Childcare and Spanish translation services will be available.
Public Meeting Dates & Times
San Lorenzo Valley – Wednesday, April 26, 6:30-8:30 PM
Highlands County Park, 8500 Highway 9, Ben Lomond (map)
Watsonville – Thursday, April 27, 6:30-8:30 PM
Civic Center Community Room, 275 Main St (upstairs) (map)
North Coast – Tuesday, May 2, 6:30-8:30 PM
Pacific Elementary School, 50 Ocean St, Davenport (map)
Aptos – Saturday, May 6, 10:00 AM-12:00 PM
Aptos Village County Park, 100 Aptos Creek Rd., Aptos (map)
Live Oak – Thursday, May 11, 6:30-8:30 PM
Community Room at Simpkins Family Swim Center
979 17th Ave, Santa Cruz (map)